Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An even quicker shot...

Recently I've obtained three great albums. I've been trying to slow down and listen to what I already have, but I've been bitten by the "A.D.D. music bug" and I'm already charting unfamiliar musical territory. It's not radically unfamiliar, rather music I haven't heard (till now).

- The Kinks, "Lola Vs. The Powerman & the Money-go-round, Pt.1", (1970), [Rock & Roll/Album Rock] This album (and the band performing) continue to impress me after each listen. In my mind I guess I've written this band off after only being familiar with their hits and quietly moving on. This is the next Kinks album I've decided on this year and just like the last one I listened to ("The Village Green Preservation Society"[1968]) it left a great first impression. It's like the Davies Bros decided on turning up the hard rock while still weaving thick strands of pop melody to soften the edgier sound. Some songs are brillantly saterical ("The Moneygoround", "Top of the Pops"), others are hard rock numbers ("The Contenders"), and some feel oddly influenced by The Band ("Strangers").

- Neil Young, "Tonight's the Night", (1975), [Folk Rock] I was wondering if there was more material as good as "On the Beach" and it turns out there is (Mr. Young probably has stockpiles of it in his private archive). This album finds Neil as personal as ever, and it's a working formula.

- Thelonious Monk, "Brillant Corners", (1956), [Jazz] I usually study (or do paperwork) in a silent environment, but this music makes somehow plays around me. Like coffee for my ears it sets a pace I can work to.

I "discovered" and listened to these yesterday. All great finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment