Friday, January 23, 2009

Classic Mixtape Review: Summer III (8/11/07)

Created: August 11, 2007

Total Playing Time: 57.5 minutes over 17 tracks

The Setting:

An overworked Czar was plowing his way right through the Summer of 2007 in Lancaster County. I was on the verge of going to Millersville and finishing out an insane work schedule pushing 60 to 80 hours a week at both Tait Towers and Fed Ex. At Tait I was wheeling out road caddies, dolly boxes, and hampers out like it was no tomorrow with fellow co-workers Jason, Josh, and Drew. Later that night I was pushing a two hour a night stint at Fed Ex with what I could almost consider the one of the more unusual jobs I held. However, at this point at Fed Ex I was just a package handler in the bitch position, unloading trucks in some sweltering Lancaster humidity. I also held the stubborn position of refusing to wear the companies' uniform shorts. I'm not too proud to show off the lower portion of my hairy white thighs, bein' all tall and lanky, so I stuck with the thick Dickie work pants. All this hard work wore me down to almost a frazzle, not to mention some interestingly dramatic personal issues goin' on in the whole love life thing, and the discovery of a few good bars taken to a decadent level. This all ended in an unfortunate bang (er...crash) in October, but that is a whole 'nother story. Going through the constant grind of life led me to fill my audiophile time in a mellow pattern. At first (if anybody listens to this) you will be somewhat deceived by the poppy folk rock, but after the first five songs are over I'm slowly turning up the music and adding a thick Southern kinda style rock that boils into a full on stomp into harder rock with the heavy rockers "Helter Skelter" and "Icky Thump", then I kinda do my trademark unusual track at the end. When it all boils down I think this mixtape a good primer for the virgin audiophile. Want a good slab of classic rock music (pending the last song)? Take this mix for a spin in your brain.

The Lineup:

1. "America" - Simon & Garfunkel - 1968 - 'The original one is wayyyy better" - Veronica. She was right. I first found the Yes version of this song (when I discovered Yes' "Fragile" [1972] album), and I was blown away by the over the top showmanship that the prog rockers displayed. However, when Veronica got me to listen to this version off of the 'Almost Famous' Original Soundtrack [2000] I was hooked. At first listen maybe I was struck by the song's simple rolling acoustic sound, with the lyrics striking my interest of taking a countrywide road trip (road trips are the best event to test the meddle of any mixtape). This led it to be the first song in the mix opening it up with a simple harmonic hum.

2. "The Wind" - Cat Stevens - 1971 - Another Veronica recommendation finds me leaving the hopeful optimism of the open road to the stoic philosophical lyrics of "The Wind". Yes, this also came off of the 'Almost Famous' Original Soundtrack [2000], but don't go thinking I troll soundtracks, this came from my 'discover-er' and I was just the 'discover-ee'. The song is short, but somehow Cat Stevens folds a whole lifetime of thought into it.

3. "Blackbird" - The Beatles - 1968 - This was the next logical extension in the mix. I would listen to this acoustic gem while working at Tait. This was a good morning song to pick up my tempo, either that or I find myself listening to it at night when I'm on the verge of sleep.

4. "Mexico" - James Taylor - 1975 - This one goes out to Matia. Every Sunday morning we would 'help' clean up our Fraternity House's basement (during pledging). We'd get there early, split up and take the simple shit. Ledge beers, cups, bottles, and any random loose garbage. Then start mopping the floors from top to the bottom, and we'd end up in the garbage hole that was the basement. Matia would always throw on music in the DJ chamber and about 95% of the time, it was his tried and true James Taylor mix of hits. I swear I can almost smell the Clorox with lemon fresh and the stale beer every time I listen to "Mexico". That smell might not be something I'd invite to my nostrils on a regular basis, but it reminds me of Spring 2004 cleaning' the Phi Psi basement hungover at 8 in the morning (if we could round up the whole class), coupled with the hard working Summer of 2007.

5. "Peace Train" - Cat Stevens - 1971 - I take another baby step towards rock with this upbeat Stevens classic {Writer's note: Cat Stevens converted to Islam and became Yusuf Islam}. Nothing special about this song, but it seemed perfect to help move the mixtape tempo up the sliding scale.

6. "Lookin' Out My Backdoor" - Creedence Clearwater Revival - 1970 - Around that time (2007) I still felt like I was an accomplished audiophile (I know now that I wasn't, and I am still nowhere near approaching that heady stratosphere of true audiophile). Listening to my 4gb (HA!) iPod while working on caddies at Tait was pure heaven, it helped me slog through the work day a bit smoother. However, when you wear an audio listening device around a whole bunch of music minded engineers, welders, electricians, etc, etc, for the better half of a day, people can't help but do one of three things; A.) Ask, "Hey! What ya listening to" or B.) "You should check out [insert random musician here]" or C.) All of the Above. So this song is a Drew Hilt suggestion. He had his classic rock rooted in the twice baked southern rock region. Despite the fact that this band came rolling out of Berkley, California (and Drew was a little disappointed in that fact when I told him) they rock the house down to their very core, and this is what I consider one of their quintessential songs. I don't care if Fogerty is singing about a coked up acid trip or what his son's imagination would see after he tucks him in for bed, it's just good music. Thanks Drew.

7. "Melissa" - Allman Brothers Band - 1972 - This was an extension of my CCR discovery aided by Allmusic.com and a schoolmate. I remember a friend in high school (2002), Emily Fritz, kept plugging the Allman Brothers and Bob Marley. I went with the Marley, and sat the Allmans on the shelf. Summer 2007 found me unearthing it for a full audiophillic display. It's one smooth song. Clapton was right to find this sound.

8. "Truckin" - The Grateful Dead - 1970 - This one's meant to keep the tempo rolling after drifting into a southern rock dreamland. The straight forward folky jam rock of true jam rock legends is one of many staples this band has to offer. However, nothing too special about this one, but I will credit my Grateful Dead discovery to three things (two of them are people), the first one spearheaded the movement, Fulena. Greg Herbster kept it going while Fulena was away, and the television show 'Freaks and Geeks' planted the seed of interest before Fulena and Greg busted it wide open.

9. "Travelin' Band" - Creedence Clearwater Revival - 1970 - This song was to bring me back after I drifted away in The Dead. Mission accomplished, but just when you think it's gonna flood into Southern rock I take one last detour.

10. "Just Another Whistle Stop" - The Band - 1970 - That indistinguishable sound of 'thin wild mercury'. This was usually playing while driving between jobs, but I'll listen to it any time. The Band was a Whit Armstrong recommendation, but they grew quickly grew into my own discovery after purchasing "Music from Big Pink"[1968]. This is the last of the folk territory for this 'tape, now we shred into a Tex Mex southern animal.

11. "La Grange" - ZZ Top - 1973 - Quite possibly Top's most solid effort from the 'Tres Hombres' [1973] album. For the longest time Billy Gibbons and John Lee Hooker dangled that rambling riff right in front of me, until I finally went out and found Mr. Gibbons version of Mr. Hooker's style. It was a satisfying discovery that led to the enjoyment of Texas blues rock.

12. "Funk #49" - The James Gang - 1970 - Here's a turn towards the loose hard rock sound that Joe Walsh helped front with the Gang. Recently, I heard this song at The Pub in New Holland being played by the Small Town Soldiers (a friend's local band), and once again those men proved their chops and paid an excellent tribute, as well as the Gang proving that they're here to stay in the annals of hard rock with this anthem.

13. "Tush" - ZZ Top - 1975 -Here I wrestle the spotlight away from the Gang and stage a short battle of the bands with another of ZZ Top's big hits. A sleazy blues rock tribute to the drunk barfly, "Just lookin' for some tush".

14. "Walk Away" -James Gang - 1971 - Not to be out done, the Gang gets their proper rebuttal. Hitting back with the other heavy hit of their career, "Walk Away" like "Funk #49" cements Mr. Walsh's pure skill and the Gang's staying power.

15. "Helter Skelter" -The Beatles - 1968 - Almost bringing it full circle with this pounding maniacal Beatles classic. Almost like a true stage stealer this song starts to wrap it up (the mixtape) almost leaving the listener on high after starting out on such a sonically low setting with the acoustic trappings of Stevens, McCartney, and Taylor slowly lurching towards that heavy rich rock and roll sound.

16. "Icky Thump" - The White Stripes - 2007 - The only "new" song in the group. I've kinda pigeonholed the Stripes in the past (I still do, but I promise they'll get their due) and I found it fitting to give them a chance after I spotted Rolling Stone (now much less interesting and poppier than before) stating something along the lines of, "Jack and Meg White channel their inner Zeppelin". This almost takes classic sounding rock to its rawest state and they just ooze that classic sludgy rock and roll sound here. This is the true 'last track' on the mixtape, and I should have stopped there, but there's something about me that just has to throw on a random "bonus" track.

17. "Boyz-N-The Hood" -Dynamite Hack - 2000 - Yup, that song. Maybe you heard it, maybe you didn't, maybe you heard N.W.A.'s version, and maybe you saw/bought Hack's music video of it on The Box: Music Television. It's almost like a wet fart after some serious shitting. It's a silly fluff track I threw on in the end, but I still love to belt this one when I'm drinking with my friends. Yup, awkward white me singing an acoustic N.W.A. cover. Ah, the beauty of Yuengling Lager.

Writer's Note: After reviewing this mix about a year and a half after creating it I see a whole block of mainstream groups. It always feels humbling to see the evolution of what I listen(ed) to. However, this mix is solid, and I'm going to come back to it. Some 'sleepers' need to be added to these superstars to round out this mixtape. Expect Summer III (2.0) to show up, but not any time soon. Summer 2009 is coming up and after the somewhat lame 'unfinished' Summer of 2008, it's time to amp up the hard work and get that farmer's tan back. Maybe I'll throw some lesser known Bob Dylan, Big Star, 'forgetten era' Beach Boys, Robin Trower, and Jeff Beck...hmmm...or The Yardbirds as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment