Saturday, January 24, 2009

One of many complaints about the music industry....

Last night, I was at Barnes & Noble with some friends just dicking around until we got closer to 10:35 pm in which we'd see "The Wrestler" at the Manor Cinema (I recommend it, sad story, a sad glorious story). At this particular book chain I like to peruse the music sections and see if anything might be worth it's salt in my eyes. I flipped through, the somewhat interesting 'Pitchfork500', grabbed the latest issue of 'Wax Poetics' (#32), and I took a chance on XLR8R (#123) ( aka: waste of time). My girlfriend offered to buy the two magazines so I would have something to pour over for unheard sounds. Well, this morning I read the 'Wax Poetics'(#32) and enjoyed it like I usually do, until I got to the end. Some shitty ass local 'rapper' threw taped a myspace.com add on the last page. I'm not going to mention this guy's name. He doesn't deserve it, the only thing he deserves is the bashing I'm going to give him. But this is how the add read:

"-Support Yo! Local Music Minds!-"
[insert name of horrible rapper]
www.myspace.com/horrible_centralPA"rapper"

Well, this kid is obviously no English major. "Support Yo!" is separate, so it just sounds like some teenagers playing Call of Duty 4 on their XBox360, "Gimme some SUPPORT YO!". He probably could have stopped there and the ad would be a little less to make fun of, but he takes it to another level. "Local Music Minds!", the other half shouts. Where? Who? Not on this ad or in your site. You are local, but you're not music minded. If you listened to the schlock you just recorded about drinkin' Evian water, and staying gangsta, you would realize you and your featuring artist sound like you grabbed a few syringes of Novocain and shot both your mouth's up with the potent anesthetic. That and they both must have listened to all the low tempo cookie cutter rap you could get your hands on. You're not even originally horrible.

Now you can argue all you want, that 'any publicity is good publicity', but not in this kid's case. He should be embarrassed, and after listening to about 30 seconds of his horrible freestyle "rap" I felt embarrassed. You ruined my issue of 'Wax Poetics' (#32), and I swear that if I find that shit again in issue #33, you sir, are going to truly get it. No, seriously. He's going to get it.

Writer's Note: I calmed down a little after basically seeing the tip on my slice of pizza cut off. There's something satisfying about fully reading a new 'Wax Poetics', I felt ripped off to see that blemish of horrible music at the end. Oh, and I gave the fucker his Justice. I listened to the whole song, and now I want my four minutes, plus the additional 30 seconds the first time I tried to choke this shit down my earholes, back. But mark my words. One more rogue advertisement, and that kid's gonna get a ripping, on his site, to his face, and any chance I get. I want to ruin his dream, because if anybody that's failed at something must realize, "When you suck at something, you should at least know that you suck".

No comments:

Post a Comment